Memes have long been the coin of the realm online, and now the tools are available for the average geek to act on his/her geeky impulses to mash the detritus of pop culture together to create new art forms. It looks like this:
Sword fights = Cool. Lightsabres = Cool. Sword fights + Lightsabres = Nerdgasm.
In the course of my academic and intellectual pursuits (read: goofing around) I ran across an entire subculture of Youtube mashups where digital video artisans (yes, I mean artisans) photoshopped lightsabres into movie swordfights. The process probably began with the Star Wars kid, and has gone deliciously viral. Here are my 10 favorites:
1. Count Roogan vs. Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride)
2. Cap’m Barbosa vs. Cap’m Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl)
3. The Spartans vs. the Hordes of Xerxes (300)
4. Arwen vs. the Nazgul (Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
5. Freddy vs. Jason (Freddy vs. Jason)
6. Deadpool vs. a Room of Thugs (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) – PS – I demand someone photoshop lightsabres over Wolverine’s claws IMMEDIATELY.
7. Indiana Jones vs. Egyptian Thug (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
8. Benjamin Martin vs. British Soldiers (The Patriot) – Incorporates blasters too! Sweeeeeet.
9. Beatrix Kiddo vs. O-Ren Ishii (Kill Bill)
10. Robin Hood/Little John vs. Prince John’s Thugs (Disney’s Robin Hood)
[Blog Title courtesy the Linkbait Generator]