Home > Social Media, Social Networking, Twitter > Twitter Conversation in Grand Rapids Press About Rob Bliss’ Events

Twitter Conversation in Grand Rapids Press About Rob Bliss’ Events

February 21, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

Rachael Recker at the Grand Rapids Press wrote a compelling article about Rob Bliss’ next event in the Grand Rapids Press. For those that are interested, below is the full discussion (reconstructing a Twitter conversation was difficult even with TweetConvo – my apologies to anyone whose tweets are out of sequence – please drop me an email if anything needs to be adjusted and I’ll be happy to fix it).

@BobonBusiness Says:

@dfbova
Me either. RT @BobonBusiness: Maybe I am alone, but don’t get very excited anymore about a new Rob Bliss event. #ImNoFun

@LaLampen says:
@BobOnBusiness I am with you… He needs to do something different maybe? Or call them something else?

@rachaelrecker
@BobOnBusiness Why is that, do you think?

@maniactive says:
@BobOnBusiness I suspect that you’re not Rob Bliss’ target market. His feelings won’t be hurt by your lack of attendance & enthusiasm.

@BobOnBusiness says:
@LaLampen Being big and bold-sometimes gets old in itself. (The Gaga syndrome) Plus buzz just for buzz sakes seems narcissistic

@BobOnBusiness says:
@maniactive Not picking on Rob, just thinking lately that outrageous isn’t selling that well

@rachaelrecker says:
@dfbova @bobonbusiness I don’t think you’re alone. Why is that? His last event, the water slide, was a success…

@BobOnBusiness says:
@rachaelrecker What is your measure of success?

@rachaelrecker says:
@BobOnBusiness It’s not my measure, but those easy measures of attendance, nat’l media attention…

@derekdevries says:
@BobOnBusiness Even if only the locals care about the event [ie @artprize], its worth it – it builds community, spurs local spending, etc

@BobOnBusiness says:
@derekdevries I agree-that is my point. I think the focus on bigger and wider “look at me/us” is the wrong focus. Good, successful, events..

@BobOnBusiness says:
@derekdevries …become newsworthy because they are good. Kind of like making a viral video-you don’t “make” viral videos, they become them

@BobOnBusiness says:
@rachaelrecker But media attention for something like @artprize is one good-but world’s largest (insert here) who cares?

@BFMack says:
@rachaelrecker @BobOnBusiness Early events felt more grass-roots & spontanious. Larger events require more P.T. Barnum, less authentic…

@BobOnBusiness says:
@BFMack @rachaelrecker Touche’ Brian…

@rachaelrecker says:
@BFMack @BobOnBusiness @dfbova Interesting comments. So what would you recommend he do to “fix” things?

@BFMack says:
@rachaelrecker @BobOnBusiness @dfbova ‘The Jeannie has left the bottle’. Like Evil Kneivel, his audience requires that he top himself.

@BobOnBusiness says:
@rachaelrecker For the record-I am not a Rob Bliss hater…just interested in the flash mob vs planned event dynamic and its traits

@BobOnBusiness says:
@rachaelrecker I don’t know-even flash mobs have lost their edge, because its been done. I think local is key-with purpose gets me in.

@rachaelrecker @dfbova How did he “lose the edge” ultimately?

@BobOnBusiness says:
@rachaelrecker I call it the “Gaga syndrome” The more outrageous sometimes we are not wowed any longer. Buzz for buzz seems narcissistic

@derekdevries says:
RT @rachaelrecker @dfbova How did he “lose the edge” ultimately? [going corporate - making events big enuf to need sponsors - lost DIY feel]

@dfbova says:
@bobonbusiness @rachelrecker The Lady Gaga analogy is interesting but she also has the talent to back up the circus.

@BobOnBusiness says:
@dfbova @rachelrecker Ya, but I think had she walked on the Red Carpet “normal” elegant-she would’ve gotten more attention…

@dfbova says:
@rachaelrecker@bobonbusiness He kills the buzz on his own events.

@dfbova says:
@BobonBusiness @rachelrecker He gets the crowd for his “free” events no doubt but he has lost the edge and h… (cont) http://deck.ly/~5c9P3

@derekdevries says:

@derekdevries says:
Its okay if Bliss lost “edge” though. Not everything needs to have it. There’s a bigger audience that is fine w/ fun for the sake of fun.

@derekdevries says:
Problem is ppl attributed things 2 Bliss that he never claimed (he didn’t say he invented flash mobs, zombie walks etc – ppl assumed he did]

@derekdevries says:
@BobOnBusiness Exactly – if you hold a press conference have multiple corporate sponsors – its not an organic, flash mob experience

@rachaelreckerv
@dfbova How so? Too many “clues”? The way the clues are delivered? Or is it the type of events?

@dfbova says:
@rachaelrecker not in the clues. I think it’s him, not the events. I hear things about how he is and how he behaves and reacts .

@BobOnBusiness says:
@rachaelrecker HAvong said that-IF it had a socially redeeming purpose, say charity-then fine.

About these ads